A lot of people asking me “What type of wheat grinder to buy for food storage?”
I have two favorite wheat grinders, but my favorite hand wheat grinder is the Hand Victorio Wheat Grinder
*Updated July 2020* This post may contain affiliate links. Read my affiliate link disclosure here
Pros to the hand wheat grinder
- You can grind all types of grains with it! I only use it for wheat and corn kernels.
- MUCH cheaper than an electric wheat grinder. This is great for those of you who only plan on grinding wheat occasionally. (I use my electric wheat grinder 90% of the time)
- Small and compact for easy storage
- Easy knob to adjust the course-ness of your grains
- Easy clean up
The MOST important pros:
- If the electricity is out, and our generator isn’t working… how in the world am I going to use all my wheat in my food storage? I use wheat for bread, pancakes, muffins, ect. Yep, you guessed it… by HAND. I’m going to sit and turn, turn, turn, that handle and grind 4 cups of wheat for my delicious homemade bread.
- I LOVE Cracked Wheat Cereal… The ONLY way, I can eat my favorite food storage breakfast, is with a hand wheat grinder. The hand wheat grinder allows me to grind my wheat to the perfect, barely cracked consistency for cracked wheat cereal. FYI: Cracked what cereal is WAY better than homemade oatmeal, and JUST as cheap! PLUS! It lasts in the refrigerator and reheats 100% better!)
Cons to the hand wheat grinder
- Requires some assembly time
- As the title says… “hand”. This is man powered. That means if you’ve got lots of wheat (like 4 cups) to grind for that delicious homemade bread… you’ll be sitting in the kitchen for a long time getting that wheat ready.
- Sometimes it’s tricky to find a perfect counter side to hook the grinder up. My first house, I had to use my chairs… which was very difficult because they kept sliding away! Our newer home has the perfect counter top and space to allow me to hook it up.
- You have to play around with the know to get the grain to your preferred consistency
- Has been known to make a mess at times…
Pros and cons being said… I need to cover a VERY IMPORTANT POINT.
If you plan on ONLY using it to grind wheat in your food storage…but NEVER eat wheat…
PLEASE think again!
I know so, so, so, many people who gather bulk wheat, beans, rice, ect… but when it comes down to it… they NEVER eat it.
If you PLAN on storing wheat for bread, flour, or ANYTHING else…PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you are eating that meal/food item once a month or at least every other month.
I cannot emphasize enough how IMPORTANT it is to eat and get used to what you are storing in your food storage, so when the time comes to need it (which HOPEFULLY IT NEVER WILL), you and your family will enjoy eating it!
Read this post for tips to make sure your family will LOVE food storage.
In conclusion… If you are looking for something inexpensive, to use occasionally, the hand wheat grinder is the product!
What hand grinder to you have and love?
As always, if you love what you read or have found it helpful, please PIN, share or comment below.
Thanks for reading!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my affiliate link disclosure here